Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"Into The Night" by Benny Mardones

She's just sixteen years old.
Leave her alone, they say.
Separated by fools
who don't know what love is yet.

But I want you to know:
If I could fly, I'd pick you up
and take you into the night, and show you a love
like you've never seen. Ever seen.

You know, I keep trying to ignore this song. "Nobody's ever heard of it," I tell myself. "It's crap by a one-hit wonder." But it's such a masterpiece -- such a massive chunk of addictive, indelible crap -- that I can't get it out of my head. I'm hoping if I let my feelings out, I'll exorcise this overwrought demon once and for all.

The first few lines are exemplary writing, establishing the mood really well. I think everyone is in agreement: the singer is a total creep. People are telling him to stay away from a sixteen-year-old girl, meaning he has to be forty at least, or twenty-five if he's unemployed. But it's love, he insists, like some of the forty-year-old men who creep on sixteen-year-olds go, "You caught me! I just wanted to bang her! Okay, I'll go away now." But the singer is insistent, and hopes to convince his beloved of his good intentions.

"If I could fly," he croons, "I'd pick you up."

Okay, so dude is kind of stumbling out of the gate. If you want to win somebody over, in my humble opinion, the first thing you want to offer them is probably not a ride. Apparently he's differentiating himself from all of those guys who want you to meet them at the mall.

Still, we've got our fingers crossed. He still has a shot if he's planning on taking the young lady somewhere really cool. He can still salvage this if he's got airline tickets to Paris, or he booked a hot-air balloon. We don't have much hope, since he could have left out the whole "pick you up" part, because none of us are assuming he was going to drag her there by rope. But he's faring better than my German boyfriend who would have included lines about packing a lunch and visiting the toilet beforehand.

But our hopes are dashed and the song crashes and burns. This Casanova would pick you up "[a]nd take you into the night. And show you a love."

Got that? I mean, I'm not a real high-maintenance guy -- you don't have to make restaurant reservations for our date, or buy opera tickets, or hire a pony -- but I require a little more than the promise that our excursion will include seeing dark. My little heart doesn't race when a guy pulls me close and says, "See that, baby? You're not always stuck in sunlight when you're with me.

I'm not sure why dude is aiming so low. Doesn't he have something a little better to offer? Maybe he's has been burned before: maybe he's flashing back on that time he promised a young lady that they absolutely, positively wouldn't have dinner at 7-Eleven. And then he wouldn't get arrested, and then he wouldn't poop his pants. "Show you a love"? He can do anything from giving her flowers to whipping out his dick and she can't say he didn't warn her.

You know your dad wouldn't fall for that shit:

DAD: You're going to take her where?

BENNY: Uh, into the night.

DAD: Oh, wow. I used to go there a lot with her mom. Okay, you two kids have fun!


There aren't a lot of promises that are worse than "We'll go see Cats but dude has definitely found one.

The song never says what happens, but I bet the guy's lack of ambition destroyed the relationship. It makes me makes me wonder what he would do if he were granted superpowers. If he had x-ray vision, would he peer into dumpsters to find the bottles with high redemption value? If he could swim super-fast, would he use it to confuse people as to exactly who peed in the pool? You imagine a sequel where he sings, "If I could turn invisible, I'd sneak into Paul Rudd's house and put my testicles on his hair."

Still, even that wouldn't haunt me like the original, unless there was a video.

1 comment:

Unknown said...


BENNY MARDONES and HOLLYWOOD SCARS RELEASE RE-MAKE of "INTO THE NIGHT" TO AID CHICAGO ANIMAL RESCUE ORGANIZATION -

Legendary singer/songwriter BENNY MARDONES and HOLLYWOOD SCARS, (a project formed in 2016 by JAMES DURBIN and ALEX GROSSI) have recorded a new version of the MARDONES classic "INTO THE NIGHT" to aid C.R.I.S.P. (Chicagoland Rescue Intervention Support Program).

To Make A Donation and Receive the Exclusive Track http://www.onetail.org/hollywood-scars/

"Many have tried to capture the soul of my beloved "Into The Night" over the years" says Mardones. "I had NO idea what to expect when I received the track . James's vocal take is near perfect and Alex's stellar guitar playing really takes it to a whole new level.

"Helping animals and rescue organizations has always been something I do whenever I can, as do both James and Alex . I could not be happier and cannot wait for my fans to hear what we have done, and help a cause that I hold very dearly"

Grossi states: "We had both always liked the song, it's one of those hooks that is simply lightning in a bottle. We had some extra studio time one night during the "Hollywood Scars" sessions and decided to take a shot at a more "Rock" version of "Into The Night". We ended up finishing it as a labor of love with some amazing help from our close friends"

Adds Durbin: "We sent a rough mix to Benny Mardones himself, with no intention of it ever seeing the light day. We immediately connected via email and after a few files being sent back and forth, came up with a version that we are all proud of. I am even prouder that we can use it to help out a great charity like C.R.I.S.P."

"Into The Night" is unusual for being one of only 10 recordings in history to ever ascend to the top 20 of the Billboard Hot 100 chart twice. The chartings, in 1980 and 1989, were of two similar but separate recordings.

Written and composed by Mardones and his writing partner Robert Tepper (best known for his hit song "No Easy Way Out" from the Rocky IV Motion Picture Soundtrack), "Into the Night" earned them a GRAMMY nomination, and to this day is one of the top 25 most played songs in the history of American radio. It has also been recorded by USHER, as well as sampled by many artists over the years.

"INTO THE NIGHT 2017" was recorded, produced, edited and mixed by Rick Vierra at Rocker Studios in Santa Cruz, CA and AJ St. James at Desert Moon Productions in Las Vegas NV, with production by Benny Mardones himself. The track includes drummer and producer Gregory Gendron, ENUFF Z' NUFF Bassist Chip Z' Nuff, and was mastered by Anthony Focx, known for his studio work with AEROSMITH and BUCKCHERRY.

C.R.I.S.P. is a coalition of rescues, shelters and advocacy groups. Donations are made through One Tail at a Time and earmarked to be used for CRISP services only. One Tail at a Time is a 501(c)(3) organization and your donation is tax deductible.

Anyone who makes a donation will receive a digital copy of the track. To Make A Donation - http://www.onetail.org/hollywood-scarS












Benny Mardones w/ Hollywood Scars - "INTO THE NIGHT"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1mF_Hz32x0



LINKS:
https://www.crispchicago.com/
https://www.facebook.com/bennymardones

https://www.facebook.com/hollywoodscars/

StatCounter