Friday, April 2, 2010

A senior Vatican priest speaking at a Good Friday service compared the uproar over sexual abuse scandals in the Catholic Church to the persecution of the Jews. Rev. Raniero Cantalamessa said they "know from experience what it means to be victims of collective violence and also because of this they are quick to recognize the recurring symptoms. . . . The use of stereotypes, the passing from personal responsibility and guilt to a collective guilt, remind me of the more shameful aspects of anti-Semitism.”

Now see, I didn't realize the Jews used to tell little boys to kiss them to see if their moustaches tickled. Then again, I left Catholic school back when they were teaching Latin, rather than French or Greek.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

". . . . The use of stereotypes, the passing from personal responsibility and guilt to a collective guilt, remind me of the more shameful aspects of anti-Semitism.”

Well, it's all de gustibus I suppose. It reminds me more of the way the Catholic Church goes after gays.

StatCounter