Friday, August 6, 2010

Larry Kramer gets mad a lot. You kind of expect that when somebody starts out furious and then gets old. At some point, though, he started turning on people who support gay rights.

After Barbra Streisand issued a congratulatory statement about Prop. 8 getting struck down, Larry Kramer released the following statement.

Barbra Streisand is a hypocrite. If she had made my play about AIDS, The Normal Heart, in 1986, when she first acquired the rights, only to sit on them for a full ten years without filming it, she could have done something for gay rights when we were really in the sewer of death. But no, she chose to go off and make such vitally important and classic movies as Nuts and The Mirror Has Two Faces. Barbra Streisand cares about gay rights as much as i care about spending a zillion dollars decorating a colony of houses in Malibu.

You know, I never argue with old people, even if they're always squeezing my cheeks or putting more Jello on my plate. I'm not going to debate if somebody can consistently support gay rights without "caring" about them. I'll just fill in an odd blank.

The Prince of Tides. 1991. Directed by Barbra Streisand, starring Barbra Streisand, nominated for seven Academy Awards.

Hope this helps, Larry. Back to the porch and, please, no more Jello for me.

No comments:

StatCounter