Friday, August 27, 2010


Everybody's freaking out in Mississippi because some middle school has placed odd restrictions on its class elections.

At Nettleton Middle School, administrators issued a memo detailing requirements about running for office. In the sixth grade, the president, vice president, and secretary/treasurer have to be white. The "reporter" -- I don't know, but I'm picturing a tiny Walter Winchell here -- has to be black.

In seventh grade, from top down, it's white, white, black, white.

By the time you get to eighth grade, we're alternating. White, black, white, black.

Like I say, everybody's freaking out, but I totally get this. You start with whites in the top spots, then slowly move the black people up. It's fair, right? I mean, you don't want to scare the whites by integrating too fast. You have to give them time to adjust. At least a couple years.

Or is the excuse behind Don't Ask, Don't Tell total bullshit?

No comments:

StatCounter