Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Friday night I went to see Laurie Anderson's show Delusion. Packed house. She told stories interspersed with freeform, ersatz jazz that sounded like a white person's version of klezmer.

It was fun, but depressing and not particularly insightful, all sickness and death and missed communications and unfulfilled desire. Two stories in particular stood out (totally paraphrased):

A ninety-year-old couple filed for divorce. All their friends were shocked. "Why bother?" one asked. "Why now?"

The wife replied, "We were waiting for the children to die."

Tears were streaming down my face. They were falling from my left eye because I love you. They were falling from my right eye because I can't stand you.

I didn't get it. I couldn't make the leap. I think she wanted to make a broad comment on life, but the first thing in my mind was, "Well, that's what you get when you marry Lou Reed."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First - love your blog.

Sorry to hear Laurie's show was a bit of a bust - but thanks for saving me the $ I was debating spending on tickets when she is in L.A. The album pretty much sucked too.

Keep up the good work.

RomanHans said...

I read a great review somewhere where the critic said he couldn't recall most of the show because Ms. Anderson's voice was so monotonous it lulled him into a stupor. I agree completely. I was trying to think of positive adjectives to use about the show and "pleasant" hits it on the head.

Anyway, thanks! I live on praise and Slim Jims.

StatCounter