Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"This is what is so sad about Grindr.... This is what makes Grindr and the people who rely on it so depressingly mundane. Knowing who in your immediate proximity is similar to you or who is 'hot' isn’t exciting; it’s boring. Because if you need a phone to tell you what you need to know about someone as opposed to having the actual person who is 50 feet away tell you themselves using verbal communication (German or otherwise), you’re a pussy. A lazy pussy. And to those who tout the convenience and technological wonder of apps like Grindr and how it is 'the way things are' now, I would simply say that there is much more wonder ... in actually physically approaching someone who you think looks interesting and saying 'hello' without knowing a single thing about them beforehand." -- Zachary Sire at The Sword

I totally agree with Mr. Sire here. Log off Grindr! Dump Blendr! Delete your membership at DaddyHunt! Knowing something in advance about somebody is boring. You see in that guy's profile he's got a degree in math and loves animals? Bleahh. Think of the sparks that'll fly when you talk to a stranger and discover he's on a meth binge and thinks you're a raccoon.

Because it's all about wonder, you know. "Wonder" is what we need.

Me, I love approaching people with that sense of "wonder." I wonder if he's yet another dude with a foot fetish. I wonder if saying one word to him will be all the encouragement he needs to stalk me for the next forty years. I wonder if, after I mention going back to my place, I'll discover he isn't gay. And nine times out of ten, after I've proven to Mr. Sire that I'm not boring, I'll wonder how the fuck I'm going to get away.

No comments:

StatCounter