Friday, February 6, 2009

I'm old enough to remember the Beatles breaking up. The world was quite literally a miserable place for years afterward, with our one shining musical light extinguishing itself. It's the sun itself disappeared, and while we learned to live with it, we never really accepted it. This didn't have to be a permanent thing, right? This didn't have to be the end.

Then John died. We took it like a death in our own families, but it still didn't have to mean the death of our dream. And then George passed away.

Okay, we thought, that's another setback, but it's still not the end. There's still a ghost of a chance that we'll get to recall those magical times before history closes the books forever. And then when I heard that Paul McCartney was going to appear on the Grammys to play Beatles tunes, my heart leapt in my chest.

Could this be it? Could this be the night that all our dreams are finally realized? I sat there in front of the TV, hands clutched in prayer against my chest, and I know I was just one of a hundred million fans thinking the same desperate thought:

Please, please, let Dave Grohl play some part.

Thank God the Grammy producers had the same idea, and our wildest dream is coming true. Paul and Dave, together. I know every Beatles fan in the world is shaking with anticipation as they read this. Paul McCartney: the singer and co-writer of all those Beatles hits. And Dave Grohl: some guy who, I think, used to be in the Foo Fighters. Somebody pinch me already! I mean, ever since the Beatles broke up I've been imagining my own fantasy reunions: Paul with somebody from Bananarama. Paul with either Wilson or Phillips. Not once did I dare imagine Paul playing with like either the drummer or bass player from the Foo Fighters! Man, that's gonna be one for the history books. It's like bringing back the old Mary Tyler Moore Show with Ed Begley as Lou Grant.

So, music lovers, enjoy Sunday night. I know it'll be one of those nights engraved on our memories forever, like Elvis Costello's first performance with the Kronos Quartet, or when David Bowie met Burl Ives. And something tells me, God willing and the clouds part, John and George will be looking down from heaven and saying, "You go, Paul, old mate. You sing those great old tunes with whoever that dude is." In fact, I'll bet that other living Beatle, whatever his name is, will be cheering with us on Sunday night, along with occasionally calling the operator to make sure his phone still works.

No comments:

StatCounter