Friday, December 14, 2007

Christmas Shopping in Gale-Force Storms

I feel sooo stupid.

Yesterday we had the worst storm ever in New York. It starts off with hail, then sleet, then a pounding onslaught of snow, and the wind is blowing so hard it's decimating umbrellas. Inside I'm warm as toast, but then it hits me: I forgot to order that self-help book for Dad.

Against my better judgment I put on a coat and gloves and scarf and fight my way through the monsoon to Barnes & Noble. I can just barely find the place buried eight feet deep in slush, and by the time I stumble through the door I'm so frazzled I'm literally crawling up to the Self-Help section to find the book.

I fight my way back, slipping and sliding on the black ice, soaked to the skin and dripping icicles, but finally make it home -- four hours after I left. I pull the book out of the bag so I can wrap it, and then I notice I've made a horrible mistake.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's not that bad. Now he can make great sushi and other rice-involving dishes, instead of money.

Aren't you supposed to get an even worse storm this weekend/week? I clearly pick the best time ever to visit New York...

Rowen said...

Why not just order it online?

StatCounter