Thursday, July 21, 2011

I've been using Spotify for a week, and I think I'm ready to weigh in. I was sucked into the elitist hype and expected something really cool, but instead I think it's barely so-so. Their catalog is seriously lacking, with just one or two lame records by some important artists. (Really, nothing by Isaac Hayes over ten minutes? That makes some of his albums six minutes long. And, uh, no Led Zeppelin?) The free version has inexplicable time limits, and lots of inane commercials. And supposedly you can't listen to a song more than five times.

The program doesn't seem particularly smart, either. After I spend an hour telling it I like Camille Saint-Saens, Dinah Washington and Joy Orbison, their ads suggest I give a listen to Pitbull (featuring Enrique Iglesias).

On the plus side, it's kind of fun when they randomly interrupt the music with commercials. When Chris Brown broke in at the end of Madame Butterfly, I totally got why she wanted to stab herself.

No comments:

StatCounter