Thursday, July 24, 2008

I saw the new Brideshead Revisited movie last night. It really surprised me, given the mediocre reviews. It reminded me of some of my favorite bloggers: the visual genius of Rabbit Meets Hat, the intellectual reserve of Daily Blague, the spirituality and witty banter of 1904.

It's a bit long and convoluted, with Charles, the clueless protagonist, stumbling haplessly through a seemingly-unrelated sequence of scenes: boredom, gay sex, betrayal, straight sex, lots of old people blathering on about Catholicism. Play it backward and it's pretty much the story of my life.

Meanwhile, wannabe film critics can already learn important lessons from the new hosts of At the Movies, Ben Lyons and Ben Mankiewicz.

Lesson #1: Be related to somebody famous.



The world's first sand hotel has been finished on a beach in Dorset, England. The hotel, with no roof and no plumbing, will rent rooms starting at £10.

Well, I think it's a waste of money. I don't need to fork over nearly twenty bucks a night to wake up with crabs.



Madame Tussauds in London unveiled a wax likeness of Amy Winehouse on Wednesday afternoon. The figure is amazingly lifelike, complete with her signature beehive, thick black eyeliner, and tattoos.

The singer's parents, Mitch and Janis Winehouse, attended the unveiling, but the controversial 24-year-old did not. Her father said she was working on a new record but would probably drop by next month.


Which means there's still some time to see it before she decks it for staring at her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet. I love me a shout-out. Back at ya, Rooster.

StatCounter