Friday, March 30, 2007

Tide detergent: now with math lessons!

I wash my clothes a lot, so when I buy detergent I always pick up the biggest bottle. The 200-ounce size of Tide was on sale and there was a big blue banner printed on it saying "33% more" so I figured it had to be a good deal: you know, like "33% more for no extra charge!" When I got home, though, I discovered what it really said:

33% more ounces than 150 ounces.

Which, you know, is true. It has absolutely nothing to do with detergent, but it's true. Something that's 200 ounces is 33% bigger than something that's 150 ounces.

Look for more mathematics facts on future bottles of Tide, like how many socks you have to pull out of a drawer before you'll get a pair, and when a train leaving Cincinnati at 6 a.m. will pass a train that leaves New Jersey at noon.

No comments:

StatCounter