Sunday, August 14, 2011

You know how it works: you put up a link to somebody else's website on your website, and they pay you a few cents for every reader who clicks through. End result? You might clear a buck or two, but you've become a whore and a liar. The first because you're selling out, and the second because to coax people to click through, your headline is probably going to be a lie.

Earthlink is one of the biggest lying whores on the internet, and it's impossible to dodge them. If you've got Earthlink email, you've also got a "MyEarthlink" page, which you can customize any way you want except for removing any of the hundreds of square inches of shit.

I'm usually good at ignoring it, but when I checked my email I saw this:

Trash Into Treasure: 5 True Stories

Now, I love good news. I have a lot of friends who troll thrift shops for unrecognized gems, and I figured I could use these stories as ammo to urge them on. And then I read the first:

A guy found a door in somebody's trash. He excitedly dragged it home, cleaned it up, and discovered: IT MADE A REALLY GOOD DOOR.

Yes, it was stunning! It swung on its hinges. It opened and closed! High fives all around! It's a motherfuckin' TREASURE HUNT!

I sat there staring at the story with one small thought in my head: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FUCKIN' TREASURE? Experts didn't appraise his door at $10,000. Museum curators didn't tell him Abe Lincoln used to own the door. No, he found a door, and -- ta-dah! -- he used it as A DOOR. Ain't no treasure here, assholes.

The four other stories are similarly preposterous. The moral of #2 is this: Just Keeping Something Out Of The Dump Is Treasure Indeed. #3 makes us think if this idiot's antique plow was really a treasure, they wouldn't leave it in their goddamned yard. #4 has another door that some lucky soul is using, again, as a door. But #5 tops them all.

After reading the totally anticlimactic tale of a woman who found a miserable old cabinet in somebody's trash, I'd had it. I had to write back. No, not a complaint letter, but a personal note.

Dear Earthlink:

If you think something that stinks like shit and lost its drawers is a "treasure," you have to meet my Uncle Bob.

Regards,
RomanHans


No comments:

StatCounter